A Brief History

 

Our congregation first met in Rockland for worship, prayer and praise in October, 1885. This was also the year that the “Town Father” of Rockland, William Edwards, married Catherine Wilson of Cumberland who later, in 1901, laid the cornerstone for Rockland Presbyterian Church. The first service in the new church took place in October of 1902.

The contributions of Mr. and Mrs. Edwards had made the building of the church possible and we have always been blessed with members and friends who have contributed to the maintenance and development of our house of God.

Pangborn Hall was added to the church building in the year 2000 and

commemorates a family that first appeared in the church records in 1910.Their home directly across the street from the church was always open to parishioners who needed water for tea or other necessities before our first water system was installed by George Tweedie in 1995. When Maida, the last surviving member of the family, died the bequest she left to the church was supplemented by a brick selling fundraiser that made the construction of the hall possible. The hall is available to community groups promoting a Christian lifestyle.

 

The union of the Presbyterian, Methodist and Congregationalist Churches, which was first voted on in Rockland in 1912, was completed in June of 1925 and Rockland Presbyterian Church became Saint Andrew’s United Church.

Until 2004 our minister also served the United Church congregations of Cumberland and Navan/Vars. Upon the retirement of Jim Leland the three congregations became independent of each other. Since then we have benefitted from the inspiration and pastoral care of Reverend Brian Wilkie.

Our service is traditional (showing our Presbyterian roots) but adjusted to the needs of the congregation when those needs are identified.

The Lord’s Supper, with juice replacing the traditional wine (showing our Methodist roots), is served to all who wish to participate and the music is a mix of evangelical (our Congregational roots) and traditional.

Bible study and the spreading of the knowledge of Christ and of the love of God complete our mandate.

GOD BLESS US, EVERY ONE!

Martha Hjalmarson,

Congregational Historian